What are some scenic localities around the campus?
This sounds like a trick question because the whole of the IITM campus is gorgeous. There are trees EVERYWHERE. There is wildlife running around (hello deer and monkeys and peacocks!). There are cool breezes, diverse flora, and scenic views everywhere you look. A few spots, in particular, are student favourites:
- Bonn Avenue. This serene street shares a border with Guindy National park and is beautiful, silent and a favourite spot for photoshoots!
- Every building rooftop, because of the views! The NAC rooftop in particular is lovely, it's very high up and you can see a view of a large part of South Chennai from up there.
- The lake on campus in the middle of the forest. The surrounding is lovely, and the swans that are always on and around the lake are an added bonus.
If you step outside campus, there are many scenic locations close by. These include:
- Chennai Snake Park: India's first reptile park established by world famous herpetologist Romulus Whitaker. Definitely worth a visit (or several)
- Elliot's Beach: A pleasant beach in Adyar, with many popular restaurants and establishments nearby.
- Thiruvanmiyur Beach: This beautiful beach comes with many streetside eateries, and is a fun hangout for IITM students.
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple: A magnificent temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and Parvati that epitomises the famous South Indian style of temple architecture.
- Fort St. George: India's first ever fortress, built in 1644 which houses the famous St Mary's Church, a museum and Wellesley House.
- Broken Bridge: A bridge to nowhere that has become a popular hangout for groups of friends who enjoy the beauty, solitude and sunsets over the Adyar river.